Monday, January 18, 2010

random thoughts and occurances



I dreamed last night that Sandra and I were having dinner with a dentist, his wife, and Raul Esparza. None of us had anything to say to each other. I woke up and thought, " Well that was like pulling teeth".

A few words about my buddy Michael X. Martin.

Michael X is, to me the definition of a working Broadway actor. he's been in more Broadway shows than I can count (ok, eight by IBDB count, but believe me, that's a s**t-load by today's standards). He know's everybody. Everybody loves him. He has a million stories, all of them funny, none of them come at anyone's expense. I can't believe that anything he's ever said or done came at anyone's expense. he is never the star, yet always the stand-out. For example, in Ragtime, one of his many roles was the Camera operator in the Atlantic City sequence. All you had to do was look at him, and it was real. He didn't say anything. He didn't have to. In the same show, he was J.P.Morgan, a train conductor, a reporter and a mysterious immigrant that we called "Gandalf".
I met him on my 2nd Broadway show, his 1st, Les Miz. He was Grantaire (the drunk), I was Enjolras (the avenging Angel) . Two sides of a coin. We were instant friends because, everyone is with X. When asked how he was, he was/is still fond of saying "Top of the food Chain". And suddenly, you felt better. That's his real gift, I think. When you connect with him, he make's you feel better. Thanks, X. Hope it's not another 15 years before we work together again.


My Daughter Austin Plays Miss Dorothy in Thoroughly Modern Mille this weekend for her performing Arts School production. Kid's a helluva talent. Some of the other Dad's and I are helping load-in sets today. Makes me smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment